Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"Feed My Sheep": Why We Must Help Messianic Jews Making Aliyah


15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”  (John 21:15-19)

Recently I was informed that the ultra-Orthodox community is doing a very good job taking care of Jews (including Messianic Jews) who are making aliyah to Israel.  They welcome them into their communities, seeing it as a mitzvah.

So I should be happy, right?

No, actually I feel ashamed.  

I couldn't help but think of John 21 where Yeshua asks Peter if Peter loves Him.  He had to ask Peter three times because Peter had recently rejected Yeshua three times.  And each time Yeshua says a version of "Feed my sheep."

Imagine if there was an Orthodox Messianic community in Israel that helped Messianic Jews make aliyah, feeding them, clothing them, sheltering them, providing a Torah-observant community for them...

Father, help us to make this happen!

If anyone out there knows of such a ministry then please let me know.  And if not, then join me in praying that G-d will guide us to make such communities in Israel a reality.





2 comments:

  1. I always wonder what do you mean by "Orthodox Messianic Judaism," or "orthodox Messianic Community?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I mean is traditional as opposed to liberal/progressive. I'm saying "Orthodox" to contrast with groups like UMJC who, by their own admission, pattern themselves on the Liberal Movement of Judaism (e.g. Reform).

      I'm also not advocating the Divine Command Theory of Rabbinic Authority. Our head is Yeshua; We're instructed by the Ruach and the Torah, including the Apostolic Writings. And, then, the communal leaders will evaluate the role of traditional Jewish halacha, operating on the assumption that halacha is presumptively binding for Jews but with the Ruach and Torah (including Apostolic Writings) having FINAL authority. In short, we're looking at a modern version of a first-century Messianic community.

      Delete