Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Baptists Celebrate Shabbat Now?????????

So my wife just handed me a brochure from Grove Avenue Baptist church and said, "Look, they celebrate Shabbat."

So I looked and on the main brochure that they handed out earlier today it read...




FRIDAY, September 7...6:00 p.m.  Shabbat (Gym)."


I couldn't believe it.  "They have Shabbat?"

My wife says, "It's on their website, something about exploring Hebrew Roots."

So I looked on their website and saw this:

FIRST FRIDAY

Shabbat:  Explore the Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith

Fall Festivals--"The Sweetness of the New Beginnings"

SEPTEMBER 7 - 6:00-8:00 PM - RM 105

RSVP by Tuesday, September 4 by calling the church office

I'll go check it out this Friday and let you all know how it goes.  I can't wait to meet the people who run it.  

Is this a new trend with Baptists?


6 comments:

  1. I can't remember exact dates, but if you travel back in history, about 100 years ago, many protestant churches kept the Shabbat, it was a later adoption of Catholic Authority/doctrine that destroyed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7th day Baptist

      As stated earlier, they were not the only protestants keeping Shabbat, there were more... but you know the deal.

      Delete
  2. I think that when any group decides to follow the Scriptures in their literal and natural meaning, not only as a source of dogma but also of culture, they will soon arrive to an understanding of the centrality of Hashem's sabbath.

    It's not so much a denominational thing as it is a "how closely will we follow the Scriptures" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.groveave.com

    Is that their site? Seems they invited Dan and Melissa David to come play Messianic Music and celebrate Yeshua. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's it. And they've also got Marty Goetz scheduled I think

      Delete
  4. so encouraged by this and cannot wait for your feedback. please remember to share with us. thanks for being such a pioneer.

    ReplyDelete